Real estate experience
- Shari'a compliant real estate products - advising various leading banks on the establishment and development of Shari'a compliant domestic and commercial property mortgage products.
- Gibraltar company - advising a Gibraltar based company on its £100 million acquisition of almost 300 properties owned by a major UK bank, with leasebacks for over 90 properties.
- London Development Agency - advised on a proposed mixed use £160 million development of Dalston Junction Interchange and adjacent land.
- Transport for London - advised in relation to the £200 million underground station redevelopment at Tottenham Court Road in London.
- St. Martins Property Group - advised on the £400 million acquisition of the iconic Willis Building - one of the largest asset transactions in the City of London in 2008.
- Fortis Bank - advising on a development facility of £30 million to finance the construction of a student accommodation and/or NHS key workers scheme in Leeds.
- Lloyds Banking Group - advised on a £80 million loan facility to a property fund with an underlying property portfolio valued at £400 million.
- Nordeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale - advised on an investment facility of €300m syndicated with HSBC Bank plc and KfW to finance a phased office development in Germany.
- Acquisition of Europe's largest shopping centre - advised St. Martin's Property Group on syndicated facilities for the two-stage acquisition of Istanbul's Cevahir shopping centre, which is Europe's largest.
- Royal Bank of Scotland Plc v Jennings - 'Upwards only' rent review case in the Court of Appeal.
- Benjamin v Anston Properties Ltd - landmark Lands Tribunal decision relating to the rateable value of commercial real estate, prompting the Government to introduce legislation to reverse the effect of the decision.
- Russell v Coventry and Solihull Waste Disposal Company Ltd - House of Lords case concerning the rating of a waste-to-energy plant.
- Mount Cook Land Ltd v Westminster City Council - important Court of Appeal decision relating to planning law.
Wonderful client care, attention to detail and first-class knowledge
Chambers UK 2009