An easy-going approach with clients and a bulldog style with the opposition
Chambers UK 2012
Eifion is an intellectual property partner specialising in dispute resolution, international IP protection strategy, licensing and IP issues arising in M&A transactions.
He advises clients on the protection and exploitation of their global brand and design portfolios. This includes advice in relation to the most cost-effective brand management strategies, licensing, re-branding exercises and freedom to operate audits. In addition, Eifion has been involved in the IP aspects of some of the largest M&A transactions in recent years.
Eifion has acted on a number of high profile cases before the Patents County Court, High Court, Court of Appeal and the European Court of Justice, as well as proceedings before the UK Intellectual Property Office and OHIM. His reported cases include Glaxo Wellcome v Dowelhurst (parallel imports and trade marks); Microsoft v Plato Technology (anti-counterfeiting, copyright and trade marks); Inter-Loto v Camelot (passing off) and Panduit v Band-It (patents).
Eifion is a member of the Executive Committee of TIPLO (The Intellectual Property Lawyers Organisation).
Eifion has extensive retail experience, acting for Gap Europe and Gap US on IP issues arising from the management of their trade mark design and other IP portfolios. He has acted for Birds Eye on IP portfolio issues and shoe designer and manufacturer Acupuncture on design disputes. He also recently acted for internet retailer Thumbs UP on IP issues.
Eifion acts for Barclays Bank Plc in relation to IP matters on a global basis. In addition to this, his financial services experience includes advice to various insurance companies and funds in relation to IP and their products and prospectuses.
Eifion has significant experience of advising the health and care sector on IP issues including trade mark cases before the UK and European Courts for GSK and Boehringer Ingelheim, acting for Bayer in its bid for Boots Plc's OTC manufacturing division and another German pharma company in its action against MHRA to prevent disclosure of clinical data sought by generics manufacturer pursuant to a Freedom of Information Act request.
Health and care
- Commercial, outsourcing and technology
- Intellectual property
- Risk management
- Sports law
- 11/12 Multi-jurisdictional design rights
- 08/12 IP taxation (2): think inside the box?
- 02/12 Glasses half full for Specsavers
- 09/11 Knight in copycat Westwood armour
- 07/11 eBay's use of L'Oreal's trade marks creates a stink
- 07/11 UK Patent Box: too taxing?
- 05/11 Queen of punk rules the Patents County Court
- 08/10 The fruits of invention
- 04/10 Lego bricks, Blackberries and metal rappers
- 04/10 The impact of PRC Patent Law on employment agreements
- 02/10 I think therefore iPad
- 02/10 From 'cannabis' beer to potato machinery...