Cutting edge insights into corporate law
In this issue
- Viewpoint - Following a strong year in 2014 for both AIM and the Main Market, we ask Tom Nicholls, a partner in our capital markets group, for his views on current trends in the equity capital markets. Tom also gives a round-up of activity on AIM in 2014, including a look at the most active sectors and looks ahead to issues coming up for the markets in 2015.
- Changing the rules - It's not only the NFL eyeing up London as a key target to expand its American football franchise. The UK continues to see a strong trend of inbound M&A from deal-hungry US acquirers. Guy Morgan, a senior associate in our corporate finance practice in London, highlights five key differences in the rules when comparing the different ball games of US and UK takeover bid regulation and market practice.
- Stopping the erosion - There is plenty going on in corporate tax at the moment. Maryanna Sharrock, a tax partner in our London office, considers some of the current issues, in particular the OECD's crusade against base erosion and profit shifting by multinationals. She also discusses the tax position of US LLCs, changes to the patent box and highlights some good news on the restructuring of indebted groups of companies.
- Acquiring technology - With large corporates showing appetite to invest in very early stage companies as well as focussing on their own research and development, it is clear that technological innovation remains a vital driver for business growth. In this article Sam Gray, a partner in our London corporate practice, considers the acquisition of technology as a driver for M&A deals and the importance of due diligence, integration planning and the incorporation of open source software to the success of these deals.
- 2015 - a year of change? - Even with an election on the way this year and the legislative uncertainty that brings, there are a number of changes to employment law coming up in 2015. Beth Hale, a senior associate and professional support lawyer in our employment practice, takes a look at the key changes in employment law happening this year, most importantly in the family friendly arena, and the key court and tribunal decisions that are coming up.
- Stephenson Harwood news - Since the last issue of The Sharp End, we have been working on some very exciting deals such as advising Woodford Investment Management LLP on the launch of Woodford Patient Capital Trust plc. Other high profile deals we have advised on include advising incadea plc, on its sale for £122 million in cash to NASDAQ listed Dealertrack Technologies and BTG Plc on its acquisition of PneumRx Inc. We have been ranked 4th in the London legal advisor rankings (for volume of deals) in the Experion European IPO Transactions 2014 tables. We have also continued to expand our team by appointing new partners to add to our existing experience and expertise globally.
Find out more