Financial services experience
- Bank of Scotland - advising on two joint ventures with Warner Estate Holdings Plc to fund the acquisition of seven shopping centres involving debt and equity in excess of £250 million.
- Siemens Nixdorf MBO refinancing - advising a US leveraged finance house in connection with a €480 million refinancing of the 100% management buy-out of Siemens Nixdorf. The team of equity sponsors comprised Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and GS Capital Partners.
- CDO-related dispute - acting for the credit manager in relation to a dispute arising out of a CDO comprising credit default swaps.
- Natixis - acting for Natixis (formerly IXIS Corporate & Investment Bank) in a claim against WestLB, CIBC and Terra Firma for loss and damage arising out of a £750 million securitisation transaction involving the Box Clever group.
- Split capital investment trust - representing individuals and companies investigated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) in relation to its enquiry into the split capital investment trust industry.
- Insider dealing - advising several individuals and companies under investigation by the FSA and DTI for insider dealing and market abuse.
- Barings - acted in defence of proceedings brought against directors by the auditors and in proceedings brought by the noteholders arising out of £100 million subordinated loan notes.
- Basis Yield Alpha Fund - acting for the UK, Cayman and Australian liquidators of this Cayman fund, which was one of the first victims of the credit crunch.
- Shari'a compliant structures - advising various debt providers in connection with a number of Islamic finance transactions, structured using Ijara principles.
- Implementing new regulatory frameworks - instructed to ensure our clients comply with new rules and regulations such as the impact of the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID) on our clients' regulatory requirements, FSA initiatives such as Treating Customers Fairly, and the FSA's move towards more principles-based regulation.
- ALLCO Finance Group - advised on the purchase of locomotives for operations in Scandinavia and mainland Europe.
- Goldman Sachs International - advised on the refinancing of £200 million relating to four Park Plaza hotels in London and the Park Plaza management business in various European locations.
- Acquisition of Europe's largest shopping centre - advised St. Martin's Property Group on syndicated facilities for the two-stage acquisition of Istanbul's Cevahir shopping centre, which is Europe's largest.
- ING Bank - financing of 318,000-dwt "Hua San", the world's first VLCC built to Common Structural Rules and the largest vessel by weight ever to be built in China.
- Teekay Group - advised on six transactions aggregating in excess of US$2.6 billion for syndicates lending to entities within the Teekay Group.
- Iranian bank - acted for UK branch of Iranian bank on several export and letter of credit financings for Iranian corporates, including providing FSA capital adequacy and netting opinions.
- Major Spanish bank - advised on financing sugar exports from Jamaica, soya bean exports from Brazil, petroleum exports from Argentina and steel.
- Throgmorton Trust - advised in a highly complex reconstruction involving the adoption of a controversial new investment policy, an innovative tender offer and new monies raised.
- RBS Hoare Govett and Goldman Sachs International - advised RBS Hoare Govett as sponsor and joint placing agent and Goldman Sachs International as joint placing agent on the £112 million issue listed on the London Stock Exchange.
Chambers UK 2010