This role is working within the Planning and Environment team which sits in the wider Real Estate practice group comprising of 6 partners and 19 associates. The ideal candidate will be 1 – 3 years' qualified with private practice experience practicing in planning, environment, and energy law. Applicants must also be able to show a range of experience across contentious and non-contentious matters.
Key attributes and skills required:
- Demonstrates the Stephenson Harwood values of individuality, commitment, teamwork and straight talking.
- A strong, demonstrable knowledge of UK environmental and planning law and regulations, as well as policies and procedures.
- A strong academic background (minimum 2:1 or equivalent) and proven technical skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Commercial awareness and demonstrable ability to build client rapport and confidence with clients.
- Proven success in business development activities and the desire to assist in the growth of a practice area, for example writing articles on environmental and planning law, networking and involvement in online marketing activities. Exhibits an understanding of the firm’s position in the market and how it distinguishes its services from its competitors.
- Ability to acquire, consolidate and apply fundamental and up-to-date knowledge of the law with proven commercial drafting and negotiations skills.
- Resilient and calm under pressure with the ability to effectively organise own workload.
- Excellent verbal and numerical communication skills. Cooperative and collaborative in approach and is able to develop excellent working relationships at all levels.
- Pro-active and takes initiative in developing and proposing commercial solutions.
- Good housekeeping/file management practices; manages and records time promptly and accurately.
- Ability to operate professionally and proactively at all times with active participant in self-development.
- Experience of working in the specialist planning and environment team of a top tier city firm and proven experience with and involvement in renewable energy projects.
- Advising commercial property developers, funders, occupiers / tenants, investment funds and high net worth individuals on a broad range of planning matters.
- Reviewing planning permissions and planning obligations. Advising real estate investors of the effect of pre-commencement and ongoing obligations arising out of planning permission conditions.
- Advising clients on the process for objecting to planning applications, and experience in drafting objections.
- Drafting, negotiating and completing planning agreements under s106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
- Drafting, negotiating and completing highways agreements under s38 and s278 of the Highways Act 1980.
- Drafting environmental, planning and health and safety warranties in the context of corporate and real estate transactions.
- Advising clients in respect of contentious matters, including instructing Counsel, managing judicial review matters to the High Court, advising on appeals and judicial reviews, and drafting court documents (including witness statements).
- Advising clients on their applications for development consent orders in respect of Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects under the Planning Act 2008.
- Compulsory acquisition, including advising clients in respect of contentious and non-contentious courses of action in response to applications for CPOs.
- Advising clients on the implications of the Community Infrastructure Levy, and of the obligations of developer clients in respect of CIL.
- Providing advice in relation to long use rights and certificates of lawfulness of existing use and development.
- Advising clients on Tree Preservation Orders, permitted development rights, renewable energy industry, including solar energy developments and waste.
- Advising clients on Assets of Community Value, including the process for objecting to the nomination and listing of a property as an ACV.
Location: One Finsbury Circus, London, EC2M 7SH
Closing date: 1 September 2016
Please contact Georgina Spinks direct on +44 20 7809 2806 or by email